Bridgeton Public Library, UK

Public libraries / Completed 2012

A classical landmark is newborn

The Olympia building at the Bridgeton Cross in Glasgow is a momentous piece of architecture having first opened in 1911. In 2011, the building was closed for a one-year restoration and renovation process. In February 2012 they re-opened with a state-of-the-art library and Scotland’s first British Film Institute (BFI) Mediatheque.
With its bustling cafe, intuitive furnishings, friendly staff, learning centre and all the technological bells and whistles, Bridgeton Library has injected vitality and magic back into the community and local area.


The key themes and zones of the library are enhanced by the use of graphics and signage with permission of children’s laureate Julia Donaldson, we used her popular Gruffalo images as a wall graphic in the kiddies section and continued this theme through to the bespoke mini furniture.